The Open is over and now it’s on to the final phases of CrossFit competition. Unfortunately, for most of us that means taking a seat on the sidelines. Our roles are reduced from vibrant, eager, and motivated Open participants to (even though we might not be willing to admin it) disappointed and saddened CrossFitters awaiting the next excuse to go all-in. With the reduced roles often comes a drop in motivation. I’ve even heard of it referred to as the post-Open hangover. No matter what you call it, the change in motivation is a very real thing. Suddenly the consistency and intensity used to approach eating and working out during the month-long Open seems futile.
So now what?
Just because the Open is gone doesn’t mean our motivation for getting better has to go too. Their are plenty of reasons to stay motivated out there that will keep you riding the wave of momentum you built up during February and March. You just have to know where to look to find them. The irony of it all is that most of them are far more important than an Open will ever be. Sometimes, though, we need just need a little perspective.
- Health history: Most of us have a family health history not in our favor. Instead of succumbing to the inevitable why not try and beat the odds. Learn from history and stop making the same mistakes your ancestors did.
- Family: This just in. You aren’t only living for yourselves. You’ve got families to take care of. Be responsible and start thinking about your closest loved ones. What would they do if you couldn’t be around anymore because your health wasn’t a top priority?
- Personal Health: Get off of those medications! You don’t need them. They are like bandaids. They fix the symptoms and not the actual problems. Do you want to appear to be healthy, or do you want to actually be healthy?
- Aesthetics: This isn’t the most important motivator (hence it being last on my list) but it’s still a big one because it’s what drives most people. You won’t reach your weight and body composition goals in 2-3 months. It requires a full on lifestyle change, not just dedication through competition season.
How about even smaller events that pop-up a bit more randomly throughout the year? Those can offer up spurts of motivation that will help keep you going. Every next get-together can be a new challenge to master.
- Vacations: Everyone wants to look amazing in a bathing suit.
- Smaller, local competitions: They are happening all the time. Quench your thirst for competition all year long. No need to wait for the big ones.
- Regionals and The Games: Go support your fellow CrossFitters! Don’t have anyone participating in either? Still go! There’s nothing more motivating than watching people do what you love at the highest levels. You’re sure to leave with a fire lit under you like no other.
- Weddings: Somebody is always getting married. Impress your family and friends with how good you look.
- Reunions: Sure, you don’t see or talk to your old high school buddies anymore, but that doesn’t mean you don’t still want to impress them by turning a few heads with how amazing you look.
Turn life into a game. See how many goals and milestones you can achieve. Before you know it, the Open will be back, and this time you’ll be more ready for it than ever. These truly are the perfect (Open) hangover remedies!